Post by Louisistan on Oct 17, 2019 8:23:59 GMT -5
The Mayor of Taco Island has announced the dissolution of Parliament and Senate effective 1st December 2019. After that date, a general election will be held to fill the nine seats in the parliament. The Senate will be made up of those candidates who didn't win a paliamentary seat (in accordance with precedence set forth by my Right Honourable Predecessor).
The Mayor has announced his decision to both houses of parliament:
In my function as Mayor of Shelter's Taco Island, I have to acquaint both Houses of the Taco Island Legislature with my decision to dissolve the sitting legislature effective December 1st, 2019 in order to call a General Election no earlier than December 2nd and no later than December 6th. In accordance with constitutional precendence, elections for parliament will be held in all electoral districts with all those who do not win seats in parliament being instead returned to the Senate.
As for the election, the following rules will apply:
* Parties may not field more than one candidate per district
* Sitting members of parliament will be assumed to be running again for the same seat, unless a written statement to the contrary is submitted by them to the Mayor
* Senators listed in the Senate Thread OP will be assumed to run for parliament, unless a written statement to the contrary is submitted by them to the Mayor
* Any other inhabitant of Shelter's Taco Island may run for parliament by making a post in the Senate Thread to that effect (including an indication of party membership) before the Legislature is dissolved - please tag the Mayor so as to catch my attention.
* Party leaderships may contact the Mayor to indicate which of their members will run in which district (except for sitting MPs who will run automatically in their current district)
* Candidates which have not been assigned to a district by party leadership will be randomly assigned to a district by the Mayor, as per constitutional precedence* Polls will be conducted by the Mayor
The election will conclude no later than December 20th. The new Parliament and Senate will be summoned to sit and be holden no later than January 12th, 2020
In order to allow for an orderly election, no changes of party allegiance will be recognised after the dissolution of the Legislature. As per usual, the Mayor encourages backstabbing party-switching prior to the Legislature's dissolution.
I wish to extend my gratitude to honourable Members of Parliament and Senators who served during this difficult parliamentary Session and most notably to yourself, Comrade Speaker.
Naturally, I shall keep the Senate appraised of the proceedings of election as necessary.